For Hennepin County employees
To alert department you may volunteer,
have agency certification on file with supervisor
Leave of absence for county employees who are
- Certified Disaster Service Volunteers of the American Red Cross OR Emergency Disaster Services Volunteers of The Salvation Army
- Requested to participate in specialized disaster relief services by the applicable organization
Leave may not exceed 15 working days in a calendar year. Supervisors administer this leave. Department directors approve this leave.
Employee pay while on leave
- Leave is paid at 50% of the employee's regular rate of pay for the employee's regularly scheduled hours
- Employee may supplement the unpaid portion of the leave by using vacation/PTO hours, compensatory hours, and/or holiday hours
Leave impact on employment and benefits
- Employee merit review schedule is not impacted
- Seniority may be affected under some union contracts if unpaid leave is taken
- Employee payment of PERA contributions for unpaid leave can be made
- County contribution is paid once the employee contribution is made
- Subject to PERA time limits - contact PERA directly
- Employee accrues all benefits associated with their regular county employment status
i.e. Benefit earning employees accrue vacation/PTO or sick leave, stability pay credits and health and life insurance.
- Prior to the leave, provide your supervisor with a copy of
- your disaster service volunteer certification from the American Red Cross or The Salvation Army
- the request to participate from the certifying agency
- Submit the Disaster Volunteer Leave Request form to your supervisor.
Your supervisor will notify you if approved or denied.
- Notify your supervisor if you want to supplement the unpaid portion of the leave with vacation/PTO, compensatory time, and/or holiday hours.
- Code your timesheet correctly.
- Retain copy of employee's Red Cross / Salvation Army volunteer certification
- Retain copy of each request to participate from the certifying agency
- Retain the original signed Request for Disaster Leave Volunteer Leave form
- Contact Department Director about employee's status as a disaster volunteer and review any issues regarding approval of future leave requests.
- Recommend approval or denial of employee leave requests as appropriate.
- Ensure the employee's timesheet is coded correctly BEFORE approved in APEX
The Disaster Volunteer Leave Program was established under County Board Resolution 96-8-500.