Long-term disability insurance
College savings and tuition reimbursement
Employee perks and discounts
Flexible spending accounts
Holiday schedule and policy
|Martin Luther King
**Additional county holiday (not a legal holiday). County departments must have a sufficient number of employees at work. See HR Rule 12.3.b. - Additional Holiday
You may use paid vacation, PTO, deferred holiday or compensatory time hours, or unpaid leave, to observe religious holidays which fall on a scheduled work day.
Holidays on Saturday or Sunday
- When New Year's Day, Independence Day, Veterans' Day or Christmas Day falls on Sunday, the following Monday is the observed holiday.
- When these holidays fall on Saturday, the preceding Friday is the observed holiday.
- When Christmas Day falls on a Saturday, Christmas Eve is observed on the Thursday preceding the Friday holiday.
- When Christmas Day falls on a Sunday or Monday, Christmas Eve is observed on the preceding Friday.
- Policies concerning holidays vary from department to department. Employees should learn their department's policy regarding holidays.
- All full-time employees receive the same number of holidays, whether they work Monday through Friday or some other schedule.
- Employees who regularly work half-time or more receive holiday pay in proportion to the time they work.
- Holiday pay for part-time employees is based on average hours for the previous quarter (or standard hours if the employee had no hours in the previous quarter)
- Employees required to work on the designated holiday are paid for the time worked and may use the holiday time off on a later date (provisions of union contracts may vary; consult the applicable labor agreement).
- Seasonal employees and limited duration six months or less are not eligible for paid holidays.
- Generally, employees working in departments with more than eight-hour operations should expect to work some holidays. Examples of these are: Library, Sheriff, County Home School, Juvenile Center, Property Services.
- Employees represented by a union contract are paid holiday premium for hours worked on a holiday, except Christmas Eve (consult the applicable labor agreement).
- Non-represented nonexempt employees are paid one and one-half times the regular hourly rate only if they work on a legal holiday.
- Employees are not required to work days preceding and following holidays to be eligible for holiday pay.
Paid leave programs
Paid time off (PTO)
Vacation and sick leave
Vacation and PTO donation program
Other types of time off
Leaves of absence and work accommodations
Occasions may arise when you need to be absent from work. Any absence must be approved by your supervisor or the Leave and Accommodations Management Office.
Leaves administered by Leave and Accommodation Management
Leaves not administered by Leave and Accommodations Management
- Requesting leave — instructions are available on each specific leave page (see links above)
- Returning from leave
Benefit continuation and income replacement
Help create meaningful, positive change in our community.
Find answers to common writing and editing questions.